Tuesday 1 November 2011

Elegance walking hand in hand with a lie

Love is a very many splendid things; its also a very many awkward things; and essentially downright annoying many things (at times).... But love isn't really the problem is it? Its the people doing the loving that need a slap upside their head.

 We think its funny when we hear tales of people being in-love perhaps 69 days out of 72 days of marriage and divorce shortly after saying "I do" to loving someone for the rest of their life and somehow we seem to be more inclined towards knocking the institution of marriage itself, the mockery being made of love/romance/forever-after' when we really should be angry with people not studying for the love exam and failing woefully at it costing us time, money, hopes and dreams.

 The worlds greatest excuse for this seems to be "nobody is perfect" ....... But err... Aren't imperfect people expected to still make better choices? ....... YES... CHOICES. Love is a choice; Making a choice involves careful deliberations, weighing of options and outcomes, calculating risk factors and then deciding on an investment or withdrawal. How then is it possible that weighing all your options, complete with a swot analysis that leads you down an alter where you say "I DO to forever", turns into a 72 day adventure where the "forever" clause seems to have been added purely for dramatic effect?

 It seems to be a 21st century phenomenon for lovers to be making wrong choices or perhaps right choices for wrong reasons. We all want love, we all want companionship, we want the passion, we want the thrill but what we seem to not want is "the reality" which is exactly what happens when the cloud 9's lift and we hear "mayday mayday" from watchtower.

 Its sad when you barely take time out to study peoples faults and positive attributes before taking such a leap of faith .... But you know what's even sadder? People knowing a potential issue when they see one but still thinking someone will change and make it everything 'they' want it to be ! We are elegantly walking hand in hand with a lie. We are elegantly walking hand in hand with a lie when we pass-off euphoria for love and entertain the thought that bold steps such as marriage paint the picture of what your heart desperately wants to believe is true.

 We talk the walk and proceed to walk the talk. "I love you and I can see myself spending the rest of my life with you"... Then to prove it .... I actually meet you at the alter and say "I Do" butttttttt something is missing .....oh yea "Your real heart/willpower to make it so".

 If you really love someone, I wonder if 72 days is enough time to know forever is not an option. Is 72 days really the time limit on 21st century love? I'm sad for us, I'm worried for the next generation and I can't even begin to imagine what we are cooking up for 3rd Gen!

We don't seem to know what love is! If we keep mockin' bout, love is going to mean nothing to those growing up behind us. Who wants a part of something that wouldn't last, isn't reliable, trustworthy or even serious? Who? Is any human being worth dealing with longterm if all they offer is dysfunctionality and indecisiveness? I really am sad for love.

 Cupid must be on the unemployment line trying to get some benefits. The government subsidizing must really be taking a toll on the market that supplies him his potion or arrows cuz ...... Dude has been out of work for time now. Lol

 We all make choices everyday from what to wear or not to wear, which calls to answer and which to reject, which texts to respond to and which to leave hanging! I wonder why love is being left for the cat to drag in... We deserve love... Perfect love for imperfect us but WE need to want it badly enough to fight for it. We need to believe in it so much that we take time to know it more, study its curves and sample its fruit.

 We know better than to eat a half-baked cake... We are conscious enough to walk elegantly because people are watching .......... If we must walk and people do watch, why don't we choose to elegantly walk hand in hand with the truth?

 The truth is, I am imperfect and so are you.
The truth is, you're going to annoy me and I you
The truth is, I love you...all of you ... The good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful
 The truth is, because I know you, all of you, my decision to love you and be with you equips me to face forever head on
The truth is, its not going to be easy but we have to make it worth it
The truth is, I can't do it alone... You've gotta come with me
The truth is, you have to want it as much as I do
 The truth is, you and I, you and then me, need to work hard
The truth is, we don't have to be reading the same lines, we just need to be on the same page
 The truth is, I have to make sacrifices because I love you
The truth is, you have to make sacrifices because you love me The truth is, time is limited, I can't let you waste mine with selfishness
 The truth is, your time is limited too, I can't waste yours with my selfishness
The truth is, perspective is a way out of circumstance
The truth is, our perspectives need to be similar but different enough for me and you to leave our comfort zones and see things from the others perspective
The truth is, love is a team sport not a one-man relay

 The truth is, we owe it to ourselves, our generation, our siblings, our specators and the unborn to elegantly walk hand in hand with the truth not only in love but in life. We deserve it. YOU deserve it!

 Human beings are imperfect...YES.. But that's the real beauty of love, it let's you navigate your way into loving an imperfect person perfectly .... :) ...if Love is worth having, it is certainyl worth fighting for

2 comments:

  1. I'm inspired by the acknowledgement that the younger generations and their interest depends on our decisions/actions. I don't think any Human prefers to proceed from making good choices to bad ones. Why are we so afraid of the truth Yet we claim to be strong, to possess the swag and that we face our fears. HipHop'o'crites.
    I was taught in backyard school that "when two brothers go into a room and come out laughing, they must have lied to each other; but if they come out frowning, someone must have told the truth". The TRUTH can hurt and may be bitter but serves as that bitter drug given to a hospital PATIENT to get better; And with PATIENCE we can TRULY see the beauty of life. We should make sacrifices with the reality of our r/ships (esp. Marriage) it must not be easy. We keep trying so hard in the present to make things easy in the present and not for the future. Take your time choose your partner and work together. Na wa for Relay-tionships. Thanks for another interesting piece kicki. Shehu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Shehu. Especially about the brothers going into a room and coming out laughing. I dont think we tell ourselves the truth anymore. if we are honest enough with ourselves to know what we need, what we deserve, what we want and what it is we can actually get .....in comparison to what we can give, what we want to give and the kind of person we would like to be giving those things to, we would be less of a loveless generation. Seun

    ReplyDelete